NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Review

NARS eye primer
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base is a pretty much a colorless eye primer. This is my absolute favorite primer out of ones I have tried. I have used a few eyeshadow primers including very popular Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance. None of them really impressed me. On my super oily eyelids, all other ones = creasing in 4 hours. So naturally, my main focus when choosing eye primer is prevent creasing aspect rather than making shadow colors pop. 

With this primer underneath, I see no creasing up until 7th or 8th hour of wear. While that's not perfect, this practically doubles the wear time for my eyeshadows compared to other ones. It's amazing stuff!! I love.

The formula feels a bit waxy before it dries down, and I need to keep my eyes closed for 10 seconds so it will dry down completely. If the primer itself creases from not letting it dry, it's a moot point because the area prone to creasing will be primer-less. I do find it's a tad bit harder to blend eyeshadow on top of this primer but if that's the price of long hold, I will gladly pay.

It has an doefoot applicator, and the outside packaging is the standard NARS packaging, rubberized plastic. Now both white and black parts of the packaging is prone to getting dirty. I reach for it after I am done with my face makeup so very often, and the primer makes me say eww and then wipe intensely. I think this would have been more sanitary and cleaner looking if it came in a plastic tube. But NARS is not about that, and I admit, it does look nice (when clean). Also I have a feeling I can't get every bit of product out of the packaging with this one.

Anyhoo, picture time!




NARS eyeshadow primer
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

nars primer
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

NARS primer swatch
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Swatch

NARS eye base
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Blended

This is my absolute fave. If other popular primers have failed you and your oily lids, this is a good one to try. Just make sure it dries down all the way before you put eyeshadow on top of it. If your focus is on making colors pop or eyelid color correction, this isn't the best because it's colorless. NARS says that it helps with color but I don't think it does well as other colored primers. Still. Oily lidded people should try this and layer long wearing cream shadow on top as another base. Then put powder shadow on it. That is the first and only way I can get my shadows to last all day without creasing. I used to think that was impossible but combo works! :)

Price: 24 USD on NARS website
Weight: 0.26oz
Rating: A


Comments