Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush Review

PD sheer crease blending brush
Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush
I have wanted this brush for a while but I resisted because I thought it might be too big for my Asian eyes and frankly my other blending brushes worked nicely. But I kept seeing a couple of awesome makeup artists on Youtube using this brush, so I caved.

 Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush has a black ferrule and silver handle that isn't too long. The shape at the ferrule is roung but the brush is nicely tapered to a point. This tapering makes this brush suitable for my relatively small eyes even though the brush itself is not small. The brush head is really nicely shaped. From the pre-wash picture and post-wash picture, you can tell that the brursh does not poof up much. And it's quite dense and stiff for a squirrel brush.

Pre-wash
Post-wash
Again, although the brush head is not small, it comes to a finer point than a smaller brush, Trish McEvoy 29, tapered blending brush. I can definitely place and blend crease color with the tip and even do a moderate sized outer v placement. Sheer Crease has blue squirrel bristles so it won't pick up too much product which is particularly beneficial with really dark, pigmented crease colors. 

Compared to Hakuhdo J5523, it's more precise and superior at blending. It won't take away too much color to make things look patchy or blend the color all over the place. I am quite impressed with how it blends. I find TM 29 to blend very well but Paula Dorf Sheer Crease wins in the placement of color due to higher density and stiffness. Also between the two squirrel brushes, Sheer Crease and TM 29, Sheer Crease is much much softer. I will have a review for TM 29 soon. :) That brush looks a mess but it blends quite well!

Check out how nicely it's shaped. Pretty sweet.
Hakuhodo J5523 not K5523. Oops
So I recently reviewed Hakuhodo J5523 and called it my favorite blending brush. I take that back. Lol. J5523 is still a very versatile, useful brush due to its shape but purely looking at blending ability, Paula Dorf brush wins. I can blend more quickly with J5523 but the result is nicer with Paula Dorf. I didn't think it was possible that something would trump J5523!! Actually Trish McEvoy, which is another recent purchase, wins over J5523 at blending too. >_<

I have been buying brushes based on recommendations from trusty sources, so I keep getting new brushes that perform better than my older brushes. It's good. It just means I have to call brush favorites "favorites at the moment." :D I recommend this brush even more than I recommend Hakuhodo J5523. Of course if it's J5523's shape and versatility that appeals to you, it's great. The flat shape does give it the quality that makes J5523 the brush to have if you were to have only one eye brush. But when it comes to just blending and crease work, I personally prefer Paula Dorf Sheer Crease Brush. The brush has such a good combination of shape, density, and stiffness. Hope that helps!

Comments

Post a Comment